The Assessment Nurse works with the Director of Nursing to coordinate and monitor the comprehensive
assessments and care planning of all residents of the facility. He/she works with the Director of Nursing
to ensure the highest quality of care is provided in a cost effective manner with the residents in
the facility. The Assessment Nurse is responsible to the Director of Nursing of the facility.
He/She must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing-currently registered with the State
agency for nursing licensure and hold a valid nursing license in the state he/she is employed.
1. Geriatric nursing experience is preferred.
2. Demonstrates leadership and management ability.
3. Has the ability to plan and organize the overall plan of care for each resident.
4. Has comprehensive knowledge of general nursing theory and practice.
5. Thorough knowledge of principles and methods involved in demonstrating techniques and methods of resident care services and assessing resident needs.
6. Must possess or be willing to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to accurately complete MDS Assessments to meet OBRA and Medicare PPS guidelines as well as Louisiana Casemix directives.
7. Maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
8. Is capable of implementing changes as mandated by Federal, State and management suggestions.
9. Is of good emotional, mental and physical health, having sound judgment and high professional standards.
10. Is courteous in working with residents, families and employees.
11. Maintains a neat, well-groomed and professional appearance at all times.
12. Has a desire to work with geriatric residents and their current and prospective needs.
13. Must be willing to be in the facility working with the staff of each shift at varying times.
14. Must demonstrate ability to follow recommendations as designated by the Nurse Consultant.
15. Must demonstrate ability to evaluate the geriatric resident’s needs and implement systems to meet these needs.
16. Must demonstrate the ability to function as a cooperative team member with all disciplines in the facility.
17. Must have a pre-employment TB screening test according to management policy and procedure.
1. Evaluates, plans and organizes resident care according to established policies.
2. Responsible for overall RAI process (MDS, triggers and RAPs, care plans).
3. Meets with therapists to establish care plans according to resident needs.
4. Hold interdisciplinary meetings to establish accurate, meaningful care plans according to assessment protocol.
5. Audits charts according to facility policy for documentation to support MDS Assessments and care plans.
6. Trains staff in documentation procedures per request of D.O.N.
7. Interviews residents and family members for residents’ needs and limitations to provide an accurate assessment and care plan.
8. Performs other tasks as assigned.
9. Attends required staff in-services, meetings, orientation, and continuing education activities as required.
10. Is aware of and adheres to Patient’s Bill of Rights and conﬁdentiality of patient information including HIPAA regulations.
11. Interacts with patients and family members, co-workers, clinical and ancillary staff in a non-judgmental, supportive and calm manner.
12. Is aware of Patient Abuse Reporting Law.
13. Participates as assigned in the orientation of new staff and demonstrates a positive, helpful and enthusiastic attitude.