The Rehabilitation Aide works in conjunction with the Nursing Assistants to provide rehabilitation and restorative services to prevent decline in and increase skills in Activities of Daily Living (A.D.L.) for the residents in the facility. He/She is knowledgeable of restorative and rehabilitation processes and programs as well as the residents’ needs for each program. He/She will assist the other team members throughout their tour of duty to assure residents A.D.L. programs are carried out to the resident’s maximum capabilities and as outlined on the Interdisciplinary Care Plan. He/She works in conjunction with the Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapist to assure A.D.L. potential is assessed appropriately and needs are met on a daily basis. He/She will assist the other team members to assure the residents are well groomed and clean, well nourished and assists to meet their psychosocial needs. He/She assists to keep the resident care areas clean, in good working order, and a home-like atmosphere for the resident. He/She communicates with the Licensed Staff and Director of Nursing/Assistant Director of Nursing of resident’s needs. He/She reports all relevant observation in a timely manner. He/She documents information timely on all pertinent records. He/She attends in-services and staff meetings as required.
The Rehabilitation/Restorative Aide is responsible to the Assessment Nurse or other Nurse in charge of the Restorative Program and the Director of Nursing and/or Assistant Director of Nursing.
Must be able to read, write, and follow oral instructions. High school education or equivalent is preferred. Must be a Certified Nursing Assistant and have completed requirements for becoming a Rehabilitation Aide in the desired State of practice.
l. Has the ability to work with the Nursing Assistants and Licensed staff of the facility to provide a team work atmosphere. The Rehabilitation/Restorative Aide must be willing and able to help the Nursing Assistants while having other direct responsibilities.
2. Has the ability to organize and provide specialty restorative care with assistance of the Director and Assistant Director of Nursing and the Therapists. Has the ability to assist the Nursing Assistants, Licensed Staff and Therapist with the day to day reinforcement of restorative concepts as A.D.L. tasks are actually being done providing a functional meaning to rehabilitation programs.
3. Maintains effective interpersonal relationships.
4. Is of good emotional, mental and physical health having sound judgment and high standards.
5. Is willing and capable of providing emergency care as needed for any resident in the facility.
6. Is courteous in working with resident, families, and employees.
7. Maintains a neat, well groomed appearance at all times. Keeps personal appearance appropriate for resident care.
8. Has a desire to work with the geriatric resident and their current and prospective needs.
9. Must be in the facility ready to begin assigned duties on time and as scheduled.
10. Must have the ability to function productively without direct supervision at times.
11. Must be willing to work preferred shifts as scheduled and assist on other shifts as needed to assure
adequate staffing to meet the needs of each resident.
12. Must have the ability to provide the care as outlined on the Interdisciplinary Care Plan and other assigned duties.
13. Must demonstrate ability to function as a cooperative team member with each member of the Nursing Department and other departments.
14. Must have ability to provide related bedside resident care services as per facility policy and procedures.
15. Must display ability to adapt to on-the-job training and adhere to standards of the facility providing personal care services, assisting residents, caring for equipment and supplies and developing good understanding of basis of aseptic and sterile techniques.
16. Must be able and willing to function appropriately in a disaster or evacuation of the facility.
17. Must demonstrate ability to follow direction of supervising staff.
18. Must have the ability to communicate, stimulate and provide restorative concepts of geriatric care to/with other team members.
19. Must have a pre-employment and an annual Tuberculosis screening examination.
1. Signs in on Unit Assignment Sheet or other as per facility protocol.
2. Receives report from the Licensed Staff noting changes in resident status, etc.
3. Prepares specialty area for resident services.
4. Works with residents in the specialty area as outlined on Interdisciplinary Care Plan and Therapy orders and as per schedule outlined by the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing.
5. Assists with meal services each day to assure restorative processes are reinforced.
6. Assists with care on the units each day to assure restorative programs are understood and followed as care is provided.
7. Assists with rounds to assure restorative processes are reinforced.
8. Assists with the assessments of residents as indicated by the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing to determine restorative needs and progress/lack of progress of residents.
9. Assists with in-services as indicated by the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing.
10. Documents action throughout the shift.
11. Communicates pertinent findings to the Licensed Staff, Director/Assistant Director of Nursing.
12. Assists other staff members as needed throughout the shift.
13. Adds information to the “Working Copy” of the Interdisciplinary Care Plan as outlined by Director/Assistant Director of Nursing and following the Care Planning calendar.
14. Performs other tasks as assigned.
15. Attends required staffing-services, meetings, orientation, and continuing education activities as required.
16. Is aware of and adheres to Patients Bill of Rights and confidentiality of patient information including HIPAA regulations.
17. Interacts with patients and family members, co-workers, clinical and ancillary staff in a nonjudgmental,supportive and calm manner.
18. Is aware of Patient Abuse Reporting Law.
19. Participates as assigned in the orientation of new staff and demonstrates a positive, helpful and enthusiastic attitude.